The less paper you handle the more freedom you have in your practice.
David Sparks is a California business attorney who teaches others how to use technology to shed paper and be more productive and less stressed out. While he focuses on Mac-based technology in terms of the tools he uses, his systems are platform-independent.
In this episode, he talks about how he created his paperless practice and the challenges he faced. He also explains how modern lawyers should go about making their practices as devoid of dependence on paper as possible.
- MacSparky website (David’s personal website, with links to his books and courses on using Mac-based technology)
- SparksEsq website (David’s professional website for his law practice)
- Paperless Field Guide (David’s course on Mac-based tech tools and general systems for being less dependent on using paper)
- Drafts (Mac-based tool for iPhone, iPad, and computers that is a launching-off point for text automation that works with other apps).
- Drafts Field Guide (David’s free course on how to get the most out of Drafts)
- How I Name Files (David’s MacWorld article on the system he uses for naming files )
- Evernote (cloud-based PC & Mac note-taking, storage tool)
- NotePad (cloud-based note-taking tool)
- Dragon Dictate (PC based
- Hazel (an amazing Mac-based automation tool)
- Hazel Field Guide (David’s course on how to use Hazel most effectively)
- Adobe Acrobat (Mac & PC software for editing and working with PDFs)
- PDF Pen (Mac-based PDF editing software used by David)
- Liquid Text (innovative PDF viewing, editing, note-taking tool)
- Scanner Pro (iOS app for scanning docs with an iPhone
- ScanPro (iOS, Android app for scanning with a smartphone)
- The Pen Addict (a weekly podcast about pens, paper, ink, and stationery)
- Rhodia notebooks (classic orange notebooks in various sizes)
Remember…whenever you’re ready to start making your practice easier to manage, you can download the Solo & Small Firm Lawyers’ Guide to Working Smarter (and start taking concrete action-steps to make your practice more automated, more virtual —and less dependent on you doing all the work and making all the decisions).
Oh, and if you want ongoing guidance with improving your practice check out the Co-Pilot Mastermind program.
BTW, I’d love to hear your questions or get feedback (if you want to record your thoughts using this cool tool).
Also, you might want to download my free Guide to Working Smarter in the Digital Age (to help you optimize your practice —so you start working less and relaxing more).
And if you want to make improvements faster, check out my Working Smarter course.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
SweetProcess is a great way to document your important workflows. Doing so will help make your practice run more smoothly, and require less involvement on your part to keep things running smoothly.
The best way to understand how SweetProcess will help streamline your firm is to start using it. The company offers a 14-day free trial, but as a loyal listener of this podcast, you can try it for 28-days free of charge. And you don’t even have to enter a credit card to get started.
Just navigate to SweetProcess.com/ernie to start your 28-day free trial today.
And thanks to the other sponsor of this podcast…
Smith.ai is an amazing virtual receptionist service that specializes in working with solo and small law firms. When you hire Smith.ai you’re actually hiring well-trained, friendly receptionists who can respond to callers in English or Spanish.
If there’s one great outsourcing opportunity for your practice, this is it. Let Smith.ai have your back while you stay focused on your work, knowing that your clients and prospects are being taken care of.
Plans start at $210/month for 30 calls and pricing starts at $140 for 20 chats, with overage at $7 per chat. They offer a risk-free start with a 14-day money-back guarantee on all receptionist and live chat plans including add-ons (up to $1000). And they have a special offer for podcast listeners where you can get an extra $100 discount with promo code ERNIE100. Sign up for a risk-free start with a 14-day money-back guarantee now (and learn more) at smith.ai.
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Danny Ozment.
He helps thought leaders, influencers, executives, HR professionals, recruiters, lawyers, realtors, bloggers, coaches, and authors create, launch, and produce podcasts that grow their business and impact the world.
Find out more at EmeraldCity Pro
P.S. If you want a better practice, check out this Ultimate Guide.