There are 3 levels of automation. You need to progress through these levels to fully harness the power of the 12 most essential tools that will transform your practice.
Episode Show notes:
There are 12 Automation Essentials (see my YouTube video if you want a visual refresher), and here are links to the topics discussed in the episode
- Styles; in Word Processing – Training by LawTech Partners (Adriana Linares)
- [Templates in Word Processing](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template_(word_processing)); – Typography for Lawyers, by Matthew Butterick
- Email Filtering – Sanebox; software
- Email Templates – Spark Email iPhone app (There is a Google version)
- Password Managers – 1Password; or Lastpass; are both good
- Text Macros – TextExpander; software
- Appointment Scheduling – Acuity; is Ernie’s top recommendation
- Email Broadcasting – ConvertKit; is Ernie’s top recommendation
- Watched Folders – Hazel; is a Mac-based tool and David Sparks’ online course is incredibly helpful for learning how to leverage it (and check out MacPower Users podcast if you are a Mac user)
- Online API connections – Zapier; is the best service. Check out this event for lawyers who want to use Zapier better. It’s organized by the folks who do the Maximum Lawyer podcast (which I highly recommend)
- Keyboard scripting – Ernie is learning to use Keyboard Maestro by taking David Sparks’ online course (well worth the $29).
Want to take your practice to the next level?
Check out the Small Firm Bootcamp 2020 – the 2-day conference for solo and small firm attorneys coming up in May of 2020 in New Orleans. Special “early bird” pricing is now in effect.
And if you want ongoing guidance improving and growing your practice consider joining my Co-Pilot coaching program …which is exclusively for solo and small firm lawyers that want to better manage and market their practices (so they can take more time off and enjoy life more!)
BTW, I’d love to hear your questions or get feedback (if you want to record your thoughts using this cool tool).
Also, you might want to download my free Guide to Working Smarter in the Digital Age (to help you optimize your practice —so you start working less and relaxing more).
And if you want to make improvements faster, check out my Working Smarter course.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
SweetProcess is a great way to document your important workflows. Doing so will help make your practice run more smoothly, and require less involvement on your part to keep things running smoothly.
The best way to understand how SweetProcess will help streamline your firm is to start using it. The company offers a 14-day free trial, but as a loyal listener of this podcast, you can try it for 28-days free of charge. And you don’t even have to enter a credit card to get started.
Just navigate to SweetProcess.com/ernie to start your 28-day free trial today.
And thanks to the other sponsor of this podcast…
Smith.ai is an amazing virtual receptionist service that specializes in working with solo and small law firms. When you hire Smith.ai you’re actually hiring well-trained, friendly receptionists who can respond to callers in English or Spanish.
If there’s one great outsourcing opportunity for your practice, this is it. Let Smith.ai have your back while you stay focused on your work, knowing that your clients and prospects are being taken care of.
Plans start at $210/month for 30 calls and pricing starts at $140 for 20 chats, with overage at $7 per chat. They offer a risk-free start with a 14-day money-back guarantee on all receptionist and live chat plans including add-ons (up to $1000). And they have a special offer for podcast listeners where you can get an extra $100 discount with promo code ERNIE100. Sign up for a risk-free start with a 14-day money-back guarantee now (and learn more) at smith.ai.
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Danny Ozment.
He helps thought leaders, influencers, executives, HR professionals, recruiters, lawyers, realtors, bloggers, coaches, and authors create, launch, and produce podcasts that grow their business and impact the world.
Find out more at EmeraldCity Pro
P.S. If you want to create better systems for your practice, check out this Ultimate Guide.