Lexlee Overton became a trial lawyer just like her dad, but then found herself anxiety-ridden and suffering from what she terms “trial psychosis.” She learned to overcome her stress and turned to helping other lawyers. Now she helps lawyers learn how to use scientifically proven techniques to train their minds to release stress, anxiety, and fear; become power-performers; and love what they do all at the same time.
In this episode, Lexlee tells us how (as a young lawyer) she met the world-famous Gerry Spence. And she shares the unusual advice the veteran trial lawyer gave her for achieving success in the courtroom (As you’ll learn, Lexlee ultimately went on to work as a guide in Spence’s popular trial academy in Wyoming). She and Ernie also discuss the power of psychology in negotiation and for inner-focus.
Below are some resources mentioned in this episode:
- Lexlee’s website:Mind Over Law
- How to Argue and Win Every Time, Gerry Spence
- Spence’s Trial Lawyers’ College
- Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It, by Chris Voss
- Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don’t Have All the Facts by Annie Duke
- And here’s link to my Solo & Small Firm Lawyers’ Guide to Working Smarter (learn to make your practice more automated & virtual —and less dependent on you doing all the work and making most of the decisions).
Thanks to My Sponsor
Smith.ai offers a free trial, and podcast listeners get an extra $100 discount with promo code ERNIE100. Sign up and learn more at www.smith.ai.Trust me when I say, “Don’t let another day go by!” Try Smith.ai.
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Danny Ozment.
He helps thought leaders, influencers, executives, HR professionals, recruiters, lawyers, realtors, bloggers, coaches, and authors create, launch, and produce podcasts that grow their business and impact the world.
Find out more at https://emeraldcitypro.com