Joe Emmerth is a family law practitioner in the Chicago area who left the firm he joined out of law school to start his own firm. After 15 years of practice, he knew a lot about being a lawyer, but suddenly he had to make sure he knew enough about running his own law business.
In this episode, he explains how he planned his move, and what tools he finds most essential in his new firm.
- Emmerth Divorce Law (Joe’s firm website)
- Clio (practice management software)
- Gravity Legal (payment processor)
- Core Solutions (legal accounting software)
- Kofax PDF software
- Zoom (video conference software)
- Andy Stickle’s YouTube channel (marketing tips)
- Maximum Lawyer Group
- Arrow Consultants YouTube Channel (North Carolina paralegal with great tips on using Microsoft 365 and other tech stuff)
- Microsoft Office 365
- Microsoft OneDrive (online file storage)
- Office 365 Planner
- DocuSign (e-signature software)
- Slack (virtual business collaboration software)
- Dragon Naturally Speaking
- Dropbox (online file storage)
- A Second Monitor (essential for modern knowledge workers)
- Google Chromebook (backup computer)
- Remarkable tablet (paperless tool)Joe Emmerth is a family law practitioner in the Chicago area who left the firm he joined out of law school to start his own firm. After 15 years of practice, he knew a lot about being a lawyer, but suddenly he had to make sure he knew enough about running his own law business.In this episode, he explains how he planned his move, and what tools he finds most essential in his new firm.
Also, you might want to download my free Guide to Working Smarter in the Digital Age (to help you optimize your practice —so you start working less and relaxing more).
And if you want to make improvements faster, check out my Working Smarter course.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
SweetProcess is a great way to document your important workflows. Doing so will help make your practice run more smoothly, and require less involvement on your part to keep things running smoothly.
The best way to understand how SweetProcess will help streamline your firm is to start using it. The company offers a 14-day free trial, but as a loyal listener of this podcast, you can try it for 28-days free of charge. And you don’t even have to enter a credit card to get started.
Just navigate to SweetProcess.com/ernie to start your 28-day free trial today.
And thanks to the other sponsor of this podcast…
Smith.ai is an amazing virtual receptionist service that specializes in working with solo and small law firms. When you hire Smith.ai you’re actually hiring well-trained, friendly receptionists who can respond to callers in English or Spanish.
If there’s one great outsourcing opportunity for your practice, this is it. Let Smith.ai have your back while you stay focused on your work, knowing that your clients and prospects are being taken care of.
Plans start at $210/month for 30 calls and pricing starts at $140 for 20 chats, with overage at $7 per chat. They offer a risk-free start with a 14-day money-back guarantee on all receptionist and live chat plans including add-ons (up to $1000). And they have a special offer for podcast listeners where you can get an extra $100 discount with promo code ERNIE100. Sign up for a risk-free start with a 14-day money-back guarantee now (and learn more) at smith.ai.
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Danny Ozment.
He helps thought leaders, influencers, executives, HR professionals, recruiters, lawyers, realtors, bloggers, coaches, and authors create, launch, and produce podcasts that grow their business and impact the world.
Find out more at EmeraldCity Pro