Patrick Slaughter runs a small firm in Knoxville, Tennessee that does mostly family law work and some immigration law. He built his practice quickly relying on marketing skills he gained working as a magician (before law school). He also makes sensible use of technology.
We talked about how he grew his practice, and how he manages it today. We talked about the challenges he’s faced and how he addressed them—including the challenge of harnessing technology to create a practice that’s almost completely paperless.
- Microsoft 365 (Office suite of software, including Word, Excel etc.)
- Fujitsu ScanSnap iX1500 (document scanner)
- PDFPen Pro (Mac-based PDF software)
- Dragon Professional (Mac version is now discontinued)
- Dragon Anywhere (smartphone version)
- Sennheiser OfficeRunner Wireless Headset (Amazon link)
- Xero (cloud-based accounting software)
- Rocket Matter (cloud-based practice management software)
- Lexicata (cloud-based CRM & intake software)
- Michael Hyatt (productivity & management expert)
- Free to Focus (productivity book by Michael Hyatt)
Also, you might want to download my free Guide to Working Smarter in the Digital Age (to help you optimize your practice —so you start working less and relaxing more).
And if you want to make improvements faster, check out my Working Smarter course.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
SweetProcess is a great way to document your important workflows. Doing so will help make your practice run more smoothly, and require less involvement on your part to keep things running smoothly.
The best way to understand how SweetProcess will help streamline your firm is to start using it. The company offers a 14-day free trial, but as a loyal listener of this podcast, you can try it for 28-days free of charge. And you don’t even have to enter a credit card to get started.
Just navigate to SweetProcess.com/ernie to start your 28-day free trial today.
And thanks to the other sponsor of this podcast…
Smith.ai is an amazing virtual receptionist service that specializes in working with solo and small law firms. When you hire Smith.ai you’re actually hiring well-trained, friendly receptionists who can respond to callers in English or Spanish.
If there’s one great outsourcing opportunity for your practice, this is it. Let Smith.ai have your back while you stay focused on your work, knowing that your clients and prospects are being taken care of.
Plans start at $210/month for 30 calls and pricing starts at $140 for 20 chats, with overage at $7 per chat. They offer a risk-free start with a 14-day money-back guarantee on all receptionist and live chat plans including add-ons (up to $1000). And they have a special offer for podcast listeners where you can get an extra $100 discount with promo code ERNIE100. Sign up for a risk-free start with a 14-day money-back guarantee now (and learn more) at smith.ai.
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Danny Ozment.
He helps thought leaders, influencers, executives, HR professionals, recruiters, lawyers, realtors, bloggers, coaches, and authors create, launch, and produce podcasts that grow their business and impact the world.
Find out more at EmeraldCity Pro
Want My Guidance?
Here are some ways I can help your practice:
- My flagship course: LawFirm Autopilot: A Simple Guide For Creating a Profitable & Fulfilling Practice That Virtually Runs Itself.
- My Co-Pilot program —ongoing guidance from me and other key consultants that I completely trust (and also from similarly-situated attorneys with solo & small firm practices).
- My VIP Fast-Track program —personalized, one-on-one coaching from me.