Clients are the lifeblood of your business, but they can also be frustrating and annoying. You must manage clients very well if you want a happy law practice.
The simplest, most important business goal you can have is to optimize for happy clients. But you must understand what that actually means in practice. I learned a lot about what this means as a waiter at a prestigious New Orleans restaurant. The principles for effectively managing your law clients are the same as those for managing any kind of high-end customer.
- How to Win Friends & Influence People, by Dale Carnegie
- The Trusted Advisor, by David Maister
- Tim Ferriss interview with Nick Kokonas (about the restaurant business and reimagining the customer experience)
- Life On The Line, Grant Ashatz & Nick Kokonos (a book about reimagining the restaurant customer experience)
- Never Split The Difference, by Chris Voss (book on the psychology and tactics of negotiation, i.e. “tactical empathy”)
- Blog post about my job at Commander’s Palace (where I once got whacked on the head by the famous chef Paul Prudhomme)
- What A Restauranteur Can Teach You About Your Law Practice (my blog post about Ella Brennan and lessons learned from working at her restaurant, Commander’s Palace)
Also, you might want to download my free Guide to Working Smarter in the Digital Age (to help you optimize your practice —so you start working less and relaxing more).
And if you want to make improvements faster, check out my Working Smarter course.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
SweetProcess is a great way to document your important workflows. Doing so will help make your practice run more smoothly, and require less involvement on your part to keep things running smoothly.
The best way to understand how SweetProcess will help streamline your firm is to start using it. The company offers a 14-day free trial, but as a loyal listener of this podcast, you can try it for 28-days free of charge. And you don’t even have to enter a credit card to get started.
Just navigate to SweetProcess.com/ernie to start your 28-day free trial today.
And thanks to the other sponsor of this podcast…
Smith.ai is an amazing virtual receptionist service that specializes in working with solo and small law firms. When you hire Smith.ai you’re actually hiring well-trained, friendly receptionists who can respond to callers in English or Spanish.
If there’s one great outsourcing opportunity for your practice, this is it. Let Smith.ai have your back while you stay focused on your work, knowing that your clients and prospects are being taken care of.
Plans start at $210/month for 30 calls and pricing starts at $140 for 20 chats, with overage at $7 per chat. They offer a risk-free start with a 14-day money-back guarantee on all receptionist and live chat plans including add-ons (up to $1000). And they have a special offer for podcast listeners where you can get an extra $100 discount with promo code ERNIE100. Sign up for a risk-free start with a 14-day money-back guarantee now (and learn more) at smith.ai.
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Danny Ozment.
He helps thought leaders, influencers, executives, HR professionals, recruiters, lawyers, realtors, bloggers, coaches, and authors create, launch, and produce podcasts that grow their business and impact the world.
Find out more at EmeraldCity Pro