Historically, the flat fee was the only “ethical fee” for lawyers. Now, it’s more often the most sensible type of fee—both for clients and lawyers. The question is: what kind of flat fees are most successful and profitable for lawyers?
In this episode, Kristin Tyler shares insights gleaned from her own practice and from helping other lawyers understand the ins and outs of flat fee billing (and eight other alternative billing methods).
- How to Flat Fee Bill As a Lawyer, Kristin Tyler’s blog article (discussed in depth during this episode)
- Outsourced Lawyer Work: Episode 69 of LFA Podcast (Kristin Tyler discusses LawClerk Legal project-based services)
- Subscription Outsourcing of Legal Work: Episode 136 of LFA Podcast (with Kristin Tyler discusses LawClerk Legal subscription services)
- The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right, by Atul Gawande
- Asana (online project management service)
- Being a Mom While Creating Law Practice: Episode 164 of the podcast (with Kim Felton)
- 2021 Virtual Small Firm Bootcamp (where attorney Andrew Legrand explained how he implemented subscription-based billing for his business law practice)
- Kristin Tyler’s email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kristin’s Twitter address: https://twitter.com/KristinTyler
Also, you might want to download my free Guide to Working Smarter in the Digital Age (to help you optimize your practice —so you start working less and relaxing more).
And if you want to make improvements faster, check out my Working Smarter course.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
SweetProcess is a great way to document your important workflows. Doing so will help make your practice run more smoothly, and require less involvement on your part to keep things running smoothly.
The best way to understand how SweetProcess will help streamline your firm is to start using it. The company offers a 14-day free trial, but as a loyal listener of this podcast, you can try it for 28-days free of charge. And you don’t even have to enter a credit card to get started.
Just navigate to SweetProcess.com/ernie to start your 28-day free trial today.
And thanks to the other sponsor of this podcast…
Smith.ai is an amazing virtual receptionist service that specializes in working with solo and small law firms. When you hire Smith.ai you’re actually hiring well-trained, friendly receptionists who can respond to callers in English or Spanish.
If there’s one great outsourcing opportunity for your practice, this is it. Let Smith.ai have your back while you stay focused on your work, knowing that your clients and prospects are being taken care of.
Plans start at $210/month for 30 calls and pricing starts at $140 for 20 chats, with overage at $7 per chat. They offer a risk-free start with a 14-day money-back guarantee on all receptionist and live chat plans including add-ons (up to $1000). And they have a special offer for podcast listeners where you can get an extra $100 discount with promo code ERNIE100. Sign up for a risk-free start with a 14-day money-back guarantee now (and learn more) at smith.ai.
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Danny Ozment.
He helps thought leaders, influencers, executives, HR professionals, recruiters, lawyers, realtors, bloggers, coaches, and authors create, launch, and produce podcasts that grow their business and impact the world.
Find out more at EmeraldCity Pro