These are the essential software options that many lawyers aren’t using but should be using, or should be using more than they are (if they’re using any of these options).
Here’s a list of essential software that was discussed:
- Automated Scheduling (e.g. Acuity, Calendly, ScheduleOnce)
- PDF Manipulation software (e.g. Acrobat, Kofax PowerPDF, PDF Pen,PDF Expert)
- Dictation & Transcription software
- Dictation: (Dragon Naturally Speaking, which is now only supported for Windows computers. But Mac users can use voice control to get 80% of the benefit of Dragon on their computer. Smartphones now all have pretty decent dictation capabilities)
- Transcription (Otter.ai, which is free for 60 hours of transcription per month)
- Otter.ai transcript of this podcast episode
- TextExpansion software (e.g. TextExpander)
- Password Manager software (e.g. LastPass, 1Password, Dashlane, Roboform)
- Backup software (e.g. Backblaze, Carbonite, Time Machine for Macs)
- Team Chat (e.g. Slack) or Microsoft Teams)
- Virtual Meeting software (e.g. Zoom), Webex, Microsoft Teams)
- Process documentation software (e.g. SweetProcess, Process St.)
- Video recording software for explaining/training (e.g. Loom)
- Email broadcast software (e.g. ConvertKit, Mailchimp)
- Website: online presence (e.g. WordPress, Squarespace, About.me)
Remember…whenever you’re ready to start making your practice easier to manage, you can download the Solo & Small Firm Lawyers’ Guide to Working Smarter (and make your practice more automated, more virtual —and less dependent on you doing all the work and making all the decisions).
Oh, and if you want ongoing guidance with improving your practice check out the Co-Pilot Mastermind program.
Also, you might want to download my free Guide to Working Smarter in the Digital Age (to help you optimize your practice —so you start working less and relaxing more).
And if you want to make improvements faster, check out my Working Smarter course.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
SweetProcess is a great way to document your important workflows. Doing so will help make your practice run more smoothly, and require less involvement on your part to keep things running smoothly.
The best way to understand how SweetProcess will help streamline your firm is to start using it. The company offers a 14-day free trial, but as a loyal listener of this podcast, you can try it for 28-days free of charge. And you don’t even have to enter a credit card to get started.
Just navigate to SweetProcess.com/ernie to start your 28-day free trial today.
And thanks to the other sponsor of this podcast…
Smith.ai is an amazing virtual receptionist service that specializes in working with solo and small law firms. When you hire Smith.ai you’re actually hiring well-trained, friendly receptionists who can respond to callers in English or Spanish.
If there’s one great outsourcing opportunity for your practice, this is it. Let Smith.ai have your back while you stay focused on your work, knowing that your clients and prospects are being taken care of.
Plans start at $210/month for 30 calls and pricing starts at $140 for 20 chats, with overage at $7 per chat. They offer a risk-free start with a 14-day money-back guarantee on all receptionist and live chat plans including add-ons (up to $1000). And they have a special offer for podcast listeners where you can get an extra $100 discount with promo code ERNIE100. Sign up for a risk-free start with a 14-day money-back guarantee now (and learn more) at smith.ai.
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Danny Ozment.
He helps thought leaders, influencers, executives, HR professionals, recruiters, lawyers, realtors, bloggers, coaches, and authors create, launch, and produce podcasts that grow their business and impact the world.
Find out more at EmeraldCity Pro