Kim Felton had her first child in law school, then figured out how to be a lawyer and build an online Immigration practice, using technology as much as possible.
In this episode, she shares her challenges and how she met them using exceptional wile and grit, and by discovering how best to leverage the power of technology.
- Innovation Litigation (Kim’s website)
- Onward Immigration (Kim’s other website)
- A Better Way: How Motherhood Changed My Perspective Of The Legal Field & What I’m Doing To Change It (Kim’s article about how “resourcefulness under pressure” led to her starting a virtual law firm that was both successful and enjoyable)
- Boundless Immigration Law website
- LawClerk Legal (virtual freelance help from other lawyers)
- Outsourced Legal Work (episode 69 of the podcast, with Kristin Tyler)
- Subscription Outsourcing of Legal Work (episode 136 of the podcast, with Kristin Tyler)
- Zapier (cloud automation service)
- Asana (online project management service)
- Trello (kanban project management tool)
- Basecamp (popular project management service)
- Click up (project management service Kim tried and still uses)
- Lawcus (law-specific project management service Kim tried)
- Time Blindness – people with ADD who lack the ability to track the passing of time
- Client-Centered Law Firm, by Jack Newton
- Madman, Architect, Carpenter, Judge – (writing process explained by Bryan Garner)
- Point Made#: How to Write Like the Nation’s Top Advocates, by Ross Guberman (excellent book on legal writing)
- Ross Guberman (another writing instructor)
- Client Rock (enables online consultations to be booked, generate, send, and e-sign fee agreements, and get paid using a LawPay account.)
Also, you might want to download my free Guide to Working Smarter in the Digital Age (to help you optimize your practice —so you start working less and relaxing more).
And if you want to make improvements faster, check out my Working Smarter course.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
SweetProcess is a great way to document your important workflows. Doing so will help make your practice run more smoothly, and require less involvement on your part to keep things running smoothly.
The best way to understand how SweetProcess will help streamline your firm is to start using it. The company offers a 14-day free trial, but as a loyal listener of this podcast, you can try it for 28-days free of charge. And you don’t even have to enter a credit card to get started.
Just navigate to SweetProcess.com/ernie to start your 28-day free trial today.
And thanks to the other sponsor of this podcast…
Smith.ai is an amazing virtual receptionist service that specializes in working with solo and small law firms. When you hire Smith.ai you’re actually hiring well-trained, friendly receptionists who can respond to callers in English or Spanish.
If there’s one great outsourcing opportunity for your practice, this is it. Let Smith.ai have your back while you stay focused on your work, knowing that your clients and prospects are being taken care of.
Plans start at $210/month for 30 calls and pricing starts at $140 for 20 chats, with overage at $7 per chat. They offer a risk-free start with a 14-day money-back guarantee on all receptionist and live chat plans including add-ons (up to $1000). And they have a special offer for podcast listeners where you can get an extra $100 discount with promo code ERNIE100. Sign up for a risk-free start with a 14-day money-back guarantee now (and learn more) at smith.ai.
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Danny Ozment.
He helps thought leaders, influencers, executives, HR professionals, recruiters, lawyers, realtors, bloggers, coaches, and authors create, launch, and produce podcasts that grow their business and impact the world.
Find out more at EmeraldCity Pro