I have a friend who owns a couple of New Orleans restaurants.
He has been in the restaurant business since he was fourteen.
His restaurant is one of the best in the city, but he admires a lot of the other folks who run restaurants.
So, I posed this hypothetical: say you had a close friend coming to town who’d never been here, and wanted to know where to go eat.
What are 5 top New Orleans restaurants (other than yours) that you’d recommend?
He immediately rattled off this list, along with pithy comments:
- Gautreau’s “Small & intimate: many years of outstanding quality”
- Clancy’s “If Galatoire’s had great food and was Uptown”
- La Petite Grocery “New owner made an amazing place even better”
- Lilette “Owner is kind of a jerk, but the food is absolutely stunning”
- GW Fins “Hidden gem (in the French Quarter?) with fresh, wonderful seafood”
I was surprised by the GW Fins recommendation, but after asking several locals who care about quality seafood and disdain tourist traps, they all raved about GW Fins as well.
I’ve never eaten there, but it looks like I’ll have to check it out.
(Postscript: I did and it’s AMAZING!).
If you have an opinion about top New Orleans restaurants not on the well-worn tourist path, leave a comment and let me know what they are.
Or see if you can guess which restaurant my friend owns.
Hint: it’s this one.